Operations at Food Safety Authority Evira are to
- ensure food safety,
- advance animal health and welfare, and to
- promote plant health, and prerequisites for plant and animal production.
Via the links at left, you may find further information on our operations, on the respective pages of departments, separate units, and activities.
Direction of Evira
Here below can be found a list of all directors with their areas of responsibility. Information on the whole management group and their contact information can be found via the link at right.
- Director General Matti Aho
- Director Food Safety (key process) Susanna Pesonen
- Director of Animal Health and Welfare (key process) Taina Aaltonen
- Director of Plant Production and Health (key process) Matti Puolimatka
- Director of Control Department Maria Teirikko
- Director of Research and Laboratory Kimmo Peltonen
- Director of Adminstrative Department Tommi Kämpe
- Director of Scientific Research Liisa Sihvonen
- Head of Communications Varpu Seppälä
Evira has three departments:
- Research and Laboratory
These are subdivided into units divided into sections.
Subordinated the Director General are various operational bodies:
- Animal Health and Welfare
- Food Safety
- Prerequisites for Plant Production and Plant Health.
The Director General controls also Scientific Research, and Zoonosis Centre.
Evira headquarters are located in Helsinki, on Viikki Campus.
There are also nine additional regional offices in cities mentioned below.
Contact information on these may be found in web section Contact > Offices.
Meat-inspection personnel from the Control Department are positioned in slaughterhouses in sixteen localities. These localities, and contact information on inspection personnel may be found in web section Contact > Personnel search > Meat inspection personnel.
The responsibility for meat inspections and associated control in small slaughterhouses and game handling establishments was on 1 September 2011 transferred from the municipalities to Evira.