OIE Reference Laboratory for Crayfish plague
Reference Laboratories of the OIE shall have as their principal mandate to function as a centre of expertise and standardisation for a designated disease(s) or topics:
- to store and distribute to national laboratories biological reference products and any other reagents used in the diagnosis and control of the designated disease(s) or topics
- to develop new procedures for diagnosis and control of the designated disease(s) or topics
- to gather, process, analyse and disseminate epizootiological data relevant to their speciality
- to place expert consultants at the disposal of the OIE.
They may also contribute to:
- provision of scientific and technical training for personnel from OIE Member Countries and Territories
- provision of diagnostic testing facilities to OIE Member Countries and Territories: In the case of results that are confirmed positive for diseases that are reportable to OIE, the Reference Laboratory should immediately inform the OIE Delegate of the Member Country or Territory from which the samples originated as well as the OIE Headquarters
- organisation of scientific meetings on behalf of the OIE
- coordination of scientific and technical studies in collaboration with other laboratories or organisations
- publication and dissemination of any information in their sphere of competence that may be useful to OIE Members.
About the reference laboratory for crayfish plague
Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira Kuopio was designated as OIE Reference Laboratory for Crayfish plague ( Aphanomyces astaci) in the General Session of OIE in May 2009, with Satu Viljamaa-Dirks as the designated OIE Reference Expert.
There is another OIE Reference Laboratory for Crayfish Plague, CEFAS Weymouth in United Kingdom, with Dr. B. Oidtmann as the designated OIE expert.
Evira Kuopio can assist in
- diagnosis of acute crayfish plague epidemics from live, frozen or in ethanol preserved samples
- confirmation and genotype grouping of isolates of suspected A. astaci training on culture based or molecular diagnostic methods
- reference DNA and reference strains of A. astaci
- consultation about crayfish plague epidemiology
Please contact us for detailed agreement of services.
Årliga beskrivningar av referenslaboratorieverksamheten:
From 2013 reports can be read on the World Oganisation for Animal Health OIE, Crayfish plague.
Report of activities 2012
Report of activities 2011
Report of activities 2010
Report of activities 2009
OIE Reference laboratory for crayfish plague
Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira
Research Department Kuopio laboratory
PO Box 92
Finland tel +358 29 530 4962
fax +358 29 530 4970