The organisation of Evira consists of departments and operational clusters which implement the strategic goals and performance agreements.
The departments in charge of the substance of Evira include the Food Safety Department, the Animal Health and Welfare Department, and the Plant Production and Health Department.
The Research and Laboratory Services Department and the Administrative Department are the service departments of Evira.
The operational clusters within Evira include the cluster that covers Scientific Research and Risk Assessment, and the cluster providing strategic support to the Management. The departments and the operational clusters are divided into units and sections which are in charge of the implementation and effectiveness of Evira's processes.
The Research and Laboratory Services Department and the operational cluster of Scientific Research and Risk Assessment are separated from the control duties carried out by Evira's substance departments.
The Units of Veterinary Bacteriology and Pathology, Virology, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Risk Assessment are the Research Units of Evira.
The Zoonosis Centre is the cooperation body between the Food Safety Authority and the National Institute for Health and Welfare, and the Director of the Centre is an employee of Evira.
Direction of Evira
The members of Evira's Direction Group and their responsibility areas are listed below.
- Matti Aho, Director General
- Maria Teirikko, Director, Management Strategic Support
- Leena Räsänen, Director of Food Safety Department
- Terhi Laaksonen, Director of Animal Health and Welfare Department
- Matti Puolimatka, Director of Plant Production and Health Department
- Pia Mäkelä, Director of Research and Laboratory Services Department
- Erik Semenius, Director of Administrative Department
- Varpu Seppälä, Communications Director
- Personnel representative: Katri Klingberg, Senior Inspector / Tapani Lyytikäinen, Senior Researcher / Sari Mäkilä, Senior Coordinator
- Secretary of Management Group: Tiina Hannola, Executive Assistant (substitute) to Director General
Evira headquarters are located in Helsinki, on Viikki Campus.
There are also seven additional regional offices in cities mentioned below.
Contact information on these may be found in web section Contact > Offices.
Meat inspection personnel from the Food Safety Department are positioned in slaughterhouses. These localities, and contact information on inspection personnel may be found in web section Contact > Personnel search > Meat inspection personnel.