Non-commercial movement

Traveling with your pet to Finland

You may travel with up to five pets to Finland by observing the rules of non-commerical movement, which must not aim at their sale or transfer of ownership. The pets must be brought into Finland  through a approved traveller's point of entry and  presented to Customs for inspection. Customs will inspect the animal’s identification and documentation, and you may travel within the EU for four months with the stamped EU-model health certificate.

The approved traveler's points of entry into Finland are:

Arrival by plane: The Helsinki-Vantaa airport
Arrival by road: Imatra, Kuusamo, Niirala, Nuijamaa, Raja-Jooseppi, Salla, Vaalimaa, Vainikkala, Vartius
Arrival by ship: Helsinki, Hamina, Nuijamaa, Hanko, Inkoo, Kotka, Loviisa, Maarianhamina, Porvoo, Turku

Owner must sign a declaration of non-commercial movement. Note that if you are bringing a pet to be sold, rehomed, or transferred to another owner, or if a pet is brought to you from outside the EU and this movement is not connected to your own travel, or if the number of pets you are bringing exceeds five, the instructions layed out on this page do not concern you and your pet must fulfil the requirements for pet import.

However, more than 5 pets are allowed to travel to attend shows or events, but they must all be over six months of age, and proof of attendance must be presented to Customs.

Your pet may also travel with another person as long as your pet’s movement is due to your movement and occurs within five days of your movement. The owner must give written authorization for the movement.

The pet may also travel as cargo five days before or after the owner’s or authorized person’s travel. The owner or authorized person must present a boarding pass or flight ticket as proof of this to Customs.

Summary of Health Requirements

 Your pet requires

  • A microchip prior rabies vaccination
  • A valid rabies vaccination (the animal must be identification-tagged before the rabies vaccination is administered), administered after the minimum age of 12 weeks.
  • The pet must observe a waiting period abroad, and/or a test for serum rabies antibodies must be conducted, depending on which country the pet is coming from
    • The waiting period abroad after rabies vaccination is 21 days for pets from the following countries or territories: Ascension Island, United Arab Emirates, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Aruba, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Barbados, Bahrain, Bermuda, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba (the BES Islands), Belarus, Canada, Chile, Curaçao, Fiji, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Japan, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Cayman Islands, Saint Lucia, Montserrat, Mauritius, Mexico, Malaysia, New Caledonia, New Zealand, French Polynesia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Russia, Singapore, Saint Helena, Sint Maarten, Trinidad and Tobago, Taiwan, United States of America, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, British Virgin Islands, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte
    • If the pet is from an unlisted country (e.g. Brazil, China, India, Serbia, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine), a serum rabies antibody test must be conducted at an EU-approved laboratory. The blood sample for the test must be taken 30 days from vaccination and 3 months before entry into the EU. This means a puppy must be at least 7 months old at the time of entry.
  • Dogs require deworming treatment against the Echinococcus-tapeworm at least one, at most five days before entry into Finland.
  • An official veterinarian working for the competent government authority of the country of dispatch must issue the pet an EU-model health certificate (Annex IV till 31.8.2016, new EU-model health certificate  from 1.9.2016, see below) in English, Finnish, or Swedish.
    • Pets from an EU-country may travel on an EU-pet passport, and pets from a countries that observe the rules of the EU internal market (Andorra, Switzerland, Faeroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Vatican City State) may travel on third country pet passports, as long as the health requirements are met before the pet left the EU and were entered into the passport by a veterinarian licensed within the EU. Thus if the trip is to a listed country, the pet needs a valid rabies vaccination, and if it is to an unlisted country, the pet needs the rabies serological test results entered into the passport before leaving the EU. A veterinarian outside the EU can only enter the echinococcus deworming treatment into the EU-passport. If a pet’s rabies vaccination expires while the pet is abroad, the pet needs an EU-model health certificate.
  • A certified copy of the original identification and vaccination details, e.g. pet passport of third country or vaccination certificate of third country.
  • Signed declaration of non-commercial movement
  • Prior to the movement, the owner should check whether any EU safeguard measures apply to the country of dispatch.

You may contact if you have further questions about the requirements for non-commercial pet movement.




Related links