Hygiene passport based on a proficiency test

Who has to take a proficiency test?

A proficiency test has to be carried out by those who want or need a hygiene passport and who do not have a suitable qualification or education in the food sector.

Where can I take the proficiency test?

Proficiency tests are organised all over Finland by independent proficiency examiners approved by the Food Safety Authority. The proficiency examiners do not organise tests outside Finland’s borders. The testers' contact details are found under the link "List of proficiency examiners". The list is organised according to postal code, which makes it easy for you to find proficiency examiners in your area. You can contact examiners in your municipality or area by e.g. e-mail when you want information on timetables, prices etc. for the proficiency tests. The list contains the examiners who have given permission for their contact details to be published.

You can ask an approved proficiency examiner directly about timetables, enrolling and participating in a proficiency test.

How can I take the proficiency test?

The proficiency test can be taken either as a normal proficiency test or as a test under special circumstances.  For more information on the topic, go to the link Proficiency test.

What happens if I don’t pass the proficiency test?

You can repeat the proficiency test.

At what age can you participate in a proficiency test?

Hygiene proficiency and the testing included is meant specifically for those who work on food premises, that is those who have the legal right to work in Finland. As a rule, this means a person who is 15 years of age and older, who can enter employment independently.  A person who is under the age of 15 can be employed for light work for no more than half of the holidays and also temporarily during the school year. In this case, the parents approve the employment contract on behalf of the worker. A proficiency test can, however, be taken by anyone and there is no age limit for participating in the test.