Import and export of foodstuffs

Roughly speaking, the regulations on food imports and exports fall into two categories.

EU member country or non-EU country?

  • Internal Market trade is import and export with another EU member country 
  • Countries outside the EU are called third countries.

What product is imported or exported?

  • The Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira controls the imports of foods derived from animals (e.g. meat, fish, milk).
  • The Customs Administration controls imports of other foods (e.g. beverages, confectionery and biscuits).


The export regulations are within the jurisdiction of the destination country. Further information on export requirements is available from the Embassy or control authorities of the destination country.