Import of reindeer meat from Russia
Please note: You can find guidance for seeing all EU-legislation on the right margin in “The guidance for searching EU-legislation” on the left margin.
Import of reindeer meat into EU is allowed from countries, mentioned in Annex II in Part I in Commission Regulation 206/2010/EY. Import of reindeer meat from Russia is allowed only from Region of Murmansk and Yamalo-Nenets autonomous area (the importer is responsible for checking the latest situation).
1. The reindeer meat must originate from EU –approved establishment.
2. The consignment of reindeer meat must be accompanied by health certificate: model RUF in Commission Regulation 206/2010
3. The consignment must fulfil the requirements mentioned in the decision. The health certificate must be undersigned by an official veterinarian.
4. Reindeer meat should be marked as stipulated in the Regulations 854/2004 and 853/2004. Detailed instructions of the marking and about the stamps of meat are found in ANNEX I, Section I, Chapter III of Reg. 854/2004 and ANNEX II of Reg. 853/2004. In general: the whole carcase or half of the carcase must be marked, also if the meat is chopped into smaller pieces, there must be markings on the packages (see the health certificate point II.1.4). When importing meat into Finland, the health certificates are accepted in English, Swedish or in Finnish.
5. Reindeer meat imported to Finland from outside the EU must undergo a veterinary border inspection before the entry to EU area. The fees for veterinary border inspections in Finland are stipulated in MMMa 1161/2014, point 5.2. (only in Finnish).
6. More detailed instructions of veterinary border inspection can be found in Evira´s website. There are 4 Border Inspection Posts in Finland: Port of Helsinki, Helsinki-Vantaa`s airport, Port of Hamina and Vaalimaa Road. For Russia there is only Vaalimaa BIP. The veterinary border check should be booked at least one weekday before the consignment enters the EU by filling and sending the first page of Common Veterinary Entry Document (CVED) by TRACES –system to the border inspection post concerned.
7. Following the safeguard measures is the responsibility of the importer.
8. Import of reindeer meat is allowed from countries which have presented residue monitoring plans to the Commission. List of those countries you`ll find in the Annex of Commission Decision 2011/690. Russia is on the list with X in column “Farmed game” so the import is allowed.
9. For checking the validity of the documentation in advance the scanned version should be sent to vaalimaa evira.fi
More information about the import of foodstuff of animal origin from non-EU countries can be found in Finnish at our website.
The Finnish National Veterinary legislation is found at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry´s site, see the Eb:10 11§.
- Commission Regulation 206/2010
- Regulation 854/2004
- Regulation 853/2004
- Commission Decision 2011/690
- EU-approved establishments
- Safeguard measures