Handling of unpackaged perishable foodstuffs
A worker who works on food premises and handles unpackaged perishable foodstuffs is required to have
- a proficiency certificate, that is a hygiene passport (Food Act 23/2006, section 27 subsection 2)
- protective clothing (Decree of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry on Food Hygiene at Reported Food Premises 1367/2011, section 17).
Evira has compiled a table (in Finnish) on what is considered to be safe handling of unpackaged perishable foodstuffs and what is not. It is presented using practical examples. The table is divided into three parts:
- Does not require a proficiency certificate or protective clothing
- Requires a proficiency certificate and protective clothing
- Does not require a proficiency certificate, but requires protective clothing.