Instructions on purity specifications for preparations used as food supplements
EU Directives concerning identification and purity specifications, and references to other specifications
- If an EU Directive referred to below under item A or item B contains identification and purity specifications for a particular food supplement, these specifications shall apply.
- If an EU Directive contains no specifications, the specifications of the Codex Alimentarius shall apply (item C). These are based on the identification and purity specifications of the JECFA (Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives).
- If there are no EU Directive specifications and no Codex Alimentarius specifications, other JECFA specifications shall apply (item C).
- If there are no specifications as referred to above in points 1-3, the purity specifications recommended in the European Pharmacopea shall apply.
A. Decree of the Ministry of Trade and Industry on purity specifications for food supplements and certain classification methods 546/2007 ( www.finlex.fi)
B. EU Directives that specifically apply to vitamin and mineral preparations
1. Commission Directive 95/45/EC of 26 July 1995 laying down specific purity criteria concerning colours for use in foodstuffs (OJ L 226, 22.9.1995, p. 1, Celex 395L0045) as amended by:
- Commission Directive 1999/75/EC of 22 July 1999 (OJ L 206, 5.8.1999, p. 19, Celex 399L0075), and
- Commission Directive 2004/47/EC of 16 April 2004 (OJ L 113, 20.4.2004, p. 24, Celex 32004L0047).
2. Commission Directive 96/77/EC of 2 December 1996 laying down specific purity criteria on food additives other than colours and sweeteners (OJ L 339, 30.12.1996, p. 1, Celex 396L0077) as amended by:
- Commission Directive 98/86/EC of 11 November 1998 (OJ L 334, 9.12.1998, p. 1, Celex 398L0086),
- Commission Directive 2002/82/EC of 15 October 2002 (OJ L 292, 28.10.2002, p. 1, Celex 302L0082), and
- Commission Directive 2006/129/EC of 8 December 2006 (OJ L 346, 9.12.2006, p. 15, Celex 32006L0129).
C. Other specifications
Published identification and purity specifications:
Food supplements for which the Codex Alimentarius provides identification and purity specifications can be found online in the list CAC/MISC 6 “List of Codex advisory specifications for food additives” ( http://www.fao.org/fao-who-codexalimentarius/standards/list-standards/en/ )
Identification and purity specifications recommended by the Codex and other JEFCA specifications can be found online in the “Combined Compendium of Food Additive Specifications” at http://www.fao.org/food/food-safety-quality/scientific-advice/jecfa/jecfa-additives/en/ and in FAO JECFA Monographs 1, Volume 1-3 (2005), FAO JECFA Monographs 3 (2006) and FAO JECFA Monographs 4 (2007), FAO, Rome. The classification methods to be used in identification and purity studies can be found at the same address online and in FAO JECFA Monographs 1, Volume 4 (2005), FAO, Rome.