Only authorised claims may be used.
Pursuant to the Regulation on nutrition and health claims, the following health claims shall not be allowed:
- claims which suggest that health could be affected by not consuming the food;
- claims which make reference to the rate or amount of weight loss;
- claims which make reference to recommendations of individual doctors or health professionals and other national associations of medical, nutrition or dietetic professionals and health-related charities not referred to in Article 11.
The Commission expert working group has outlined a policy, wherein the decision on who is considered a health professional must be made on a case-by-case basis. The decision is based largely on the impression made and the message content.
According to Evira's interpretation, the following, for example, can be considered prohibited health claims:
- a health professional talks about the effects of a food product on health or about their own experiences
- a health care student talks about the effects of a food product on health or about their own experiences
- an actor portraying a health professional talks about the effects of a food product on health or about their own experiences
Eviran ohje 17014/1 väiteasetuksen artiklan 11 soveltamisesta (In Finnish, pdf)