Applications for approval
When a new control agent, pollinator species or product is marketed, used or imported for the first time, an application for the approval of the species or product concerned must be filed with Evira.
An application for approval must be filed if the control agent or pollinator:
- is not an species indigenous to Finland; or
- is not included in the EPPO list.
The application for approval complete with enclosures must be submitted to Evira no later than three (3) months before the product is marketed, used or imported for the first time. Evira evaluates the safety of the product in terms of plant safety and forwards the application for information to the environmental authorities in view of potential restrictions that may be required under the Nature Conservation Act (section 43).
A separate application for approval must be filed for each individual product. A species-specific notification is allowed if the macro-organism concerned has not been fabricated into a product. Evira lists the species or products that have passed the approval procedure in a separate file. Applications for the approval of the presently used exotic species or species outside of the EPPO list must be submitted by 31 December 2013.
An application for extending the purpose of use of a specific control agent or pollinator product must be filed if:
- the product is not included in the list;
- the organism is planned to be used on plant species other than those indicated in the list maintained by Evira; or
- the use of the organism is planned to be extended from greenhouses to open fields.
No application for approval needs to be filed for extending the purpose of use to cover additional pest species. The application for approval may be filed for several purposes of use (plant species) and environments of use (open field, greenhouse and plastic tunnel) at the same time. The approval procedure and extension of the purpose of use are subject to a charge. The prices are indicated in the applicable Decree of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
Prices considering processing charges of applications:
- Approval of new macroorganism species (species not mentioned in the Evira’s file of already approved species) 1760 €
- Approval of new product (if one or more products of the same species already approved) and widening the targets of use (new crop plants or environments of use) 611 €
- Change of approval and canceling the process per hour 85 €
- Application form (doc 252 kB)
- Decree of the ministry of agriculture and forestry of Evira's services subjected to a charge (pdf, 99 kB, in Finnish)