Application for listing
Application for a plant variety to be listed takes place using an application form addressed to the Plant Variety Board (see forms). The information required for the application includes the ownership details of the variety, the results of the variety testing (see DUS testing), and the results of the Value for Cultivation and Use Testing. The applications are processed at least once a year.
- Changes to the application procedure
- A handling charge is payable for applications
The application procedure for the inclusion of a variety in the National List has been changed. The applicant can opt for a two-phase application procedure: When the variety’s Value for Cultivation and Use Testing is about to begin or has begun, but not yet completed, it is possible to make a preliminary application to start the registration of the application to be included in the National List of Plant Varieties, whereby an official application date is immediately registered for the variety. It is also possible to have the final variety denomination recorded already at this stage.
Application to start registration in the National List of Plant Varieties
- An application may be submitted when the variety starts Value for Cultivation and Use Testing or while testing is incomplete
- The application form includes the basic details of the variety
- If necessary, the same form may be used to enter the variety in official DUS (Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability) testing carried out by Evira
- Evira sends the applicant/agent a notification of receipt of the application and an application number
- N.B.: A further final application must be submitted in order that the registration application progresses for approval by the Plant Variety Board
Application for completion of registration in the National List of Plant Varieties (final application)
- Submitted at completion of Value for Cultivation and Use Testing
- Does not require preliminary application to start registration in the National List of Plant Varieties
- Application for the variety progresses for approval by Plant Variety Board
- The handling charge for listing in National List of Plant Varieties is payable with final application
Renewing an approval in National List of Plant Varieties
If the owners of the variety wish to continue the approved status of the variety after 10 years, they must submit an application, listing the grounds, to the Plant Variety Board. The application is free-form and must be submitted 2 years before the end of the approved status period.
A variety may be removed from the list on the owner’s free-form application to the Plant Variety Board. A variety that is removed from the National List of Plant Varieties may be marketed for two years following its removal from the list.
National List of Plant Varieties and GMO varieties
In common with normal varieties, a GMO variety is granted a cultivation license across the whole EU area, once it has been included in a member state’s National List of Plant Varieties. Unlike with varieties bred in the traditional way, GMO varieties must be shown to be harmless to human health and the environment. Under certain conditions, a member state may restrict or ban the cultivation of a GMO variety in its territory, and the restriction procedure is currently being simplified. The breeding method of the variety (GMO/traditional) must be stated in the application for the National List of Plant Varieties.
Translation of an extract from the chargeable services provided by the Finnish Food Safety Authority, published as Appendix to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Decree 1161/2014. Valid from 1 January 2015.
|Receiving and handling of applications and notifications, providing a statement||€ VAT||( 0%)|
|3.14||Application for entry in National List of Plant Varieties||280.00|
|3.14.1||-renewing an approval||80.00|
All applications concerning the National List of Plant Varieties must be sent to Evira’s address:Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira
Plant Breeder’s Rights
PO Box 111 (Tampereentie 51)
Plant Variety Board
- chairman: Marja Savonmäki t. +358 (0)40 556 2865, marja.savonmaki mmm.fi
- secretary: Tarja Hietaranta t. +358 (0)50 344 3748, email@example.com