Press release: Slimming pill Trimbia turned out to be fake


<div>Beginning this spring consumers at several occasions have contacted the Food Agency concerning a weight-reducing pill named Trimbia. The Food Agency requested the Customs Laboratory to carry out analyses on the ingredients of this food additive intended for dieters. The analyses proved no agents present that could produce the strong slimming effect as promised. </div>

The Food Agency requested the Customs Laboratory to do analyses on the contents of the slimming pill Trimbia sold over the Internet and via mail orders. Sales of Trimbia are purportedly supported by extremely serious claims. For example, marketing materials promise that for each pill, two kilograms are lost, having to neither change dieting nor increase exercising. The product is marketed by a Danish company named Pharmapost. The company maintains no storage depots in Finland, the products are delivered directly via mail to consumers.

As the company operates abroad, the Finnish National Food Agency has little power to interfere with marketing of the product. In addition, records on the company and the name of the produce change from time to time. National Food Agency Finland has been in contact with the Danish food control authorities regarding this problem, as their possibilities to interfere with the deceptive and inappropriate marketing of the product concerned are much better.

Results from analyses at the Customs Laboratory showed the product to contain 37 % baking powder (sodium carbonate), 35 % sorbitol (sweetener), 6 % citric acid (acidity regulator) and 2 % silica (anti-caking agent). I.e., 80 % of the ingredients in the product are agents commonly used in foodstuff that have no physiological effects. Remaining 20 % of contents in Trimbia are other manufacturing agents as stated in the packaging markings, for example lemon, melon, bitter orange, liquorice root shaddock and the Indian fruit garcinia cambogia.

No trace of the new molecule trimbia mentioned in marketing materials is to be found in general chemical databases. Nor did mass spectroscopic analyses at the Customs Laboratory reveal any unknown compounds that might represent trimibia molecules.

Analysis results showed that the weight-reducing pill Trimbia is being deceptively marketed and that the product concerned cannot produce the slimming effects as promised. Also, the amount to be consumed is rather insignificant, thus the product cannot have any greater effect on vital functions.

A useful rule of thumb is that if a product appears too good to be true one ought to view it with suspicion. Packaging shall always carry markings in Finnish and Swedish and convey relevant information on the company that manufactures and markets the product contained. A mere post box address does not suffice.

Additional information:
Senior Inspector Sanna Viljakainen, National Food Agency, phone (09) 393 1535, (foodstuff legislation and food control affairs)
Head of Section Esko Niemi, Customs Laboratory, phone 020 49 23259, (laboratory investigations)

Related Categories: